Thursday, November 5, 2009

Should I or Shouldn't I?

I was browsing CNN, as I tend to do everyday. The headlines, entertainment then the living sections. I came across this article.

Change your name after marriage - Why?

I find it funny (odd not haha) that in a day when we live in a free country and have so many options that someone's name choice after they get married could be an issue. Oddly, it's not even the first time it has come up this week.

The definition of feminism is that it is the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men. Under this definition, I consider myself feminist, equality is the goal. I do not see taking the name of a person one has chosen to spend their life with as a negative thing. Is it wrong for a strong woman with a career and an identity of my own to want to take their husband's name when and they get married? In my opinion I would still know exactly who I am and I consider it just another stage in my life.

Keeping a "maiden name"or "birth name" for professional reasons or for personal reasons makes sense to me. I even get hyphenating names, creating a new name or even a man taking his wife's name. Why create more issues when we have much more important things to worry about.

* Useless fact: In the middle ages, before it was the husbands name that was used, it was the family name of the higher class family.

No comments:

Post a Comment