Sunday, March 7, 2010

Full Bloom Floral Design

The Wed by Hand show introduced me to several very talented people, including Erin of Full Bloom Floral Design. Erin has spent the last 10 years living in Vancouver. In Vancouver, Erin worked started her own event planning company where they also provided event decor and florals. That was when she starting taking workshops from amazing international floral designers and artists, including an intensive 6 week floral design school studdying under Hitomi Gilliam. Now she is focusing on floral design as it is what she truly loves and is most passionate about. Recently, I got a chance to ask her a few questions.
1. What do you love most about designing?
I love how something starts out looking a certain way and then ends up looking like something so different. As I am designing there is a flow and as I am in it I sometimes don't even know where is will go. I love taking something and using it in a different way that we wouldn't normally think of.
2. Your designs have beautiful shapes and styles, what influences you?
The flowers are my main inspiration - their colours, shapes and textures inspire me.

3. You focus on being Eco-friendly and using local vendors. If you could give brides one tip to be more eco friendly what would it be?

Try to buy local - even request for it with your caterer, wine/beer, etc. I think it is so important to support our local community and small businesses.

4. The Eternal Tree is such a beautiful ideas, how did you get started with it?

Many years ago I had a couple give out tree seedling as their guest favors...I loved that idea. I remember taking one from that wedding and planing it in my courtyard (in Vancouver we had courtyards...no backyards). Everytime I looked at that tree I had great thoughts of that couple and how much they loved each other. So - I started on my own planting tree seedlings on behalf of my couples and telling them where I planted it so they could visit it and watch it grow just like their relationship. I also like the idea of me giving back to the environment after taking so much in flowers.

5. When you are working, what kind of atmosphere do you have in your studio? do you have a favourite artist or type of music you listen to while you work?

I always listen to music and all kinds of music. I put my ipod on shuffle and let it play. I love right now A Fine Frenzy, Tegan and Sara and old work from Kings of Leon.

Thank you to Melanie of m photography for the photos

No comments:

Post a Comment